How to Thrive in Chaos
Simple is by no means easy. Yet the simple answer to thriving in chaos is reinvention.
Our ability to create meaningful futures begins with recognizing that accelerated change is the canvas with which we must create our masterpieces.
Dr. Nadya Zhexembayeva grew up in the Soviet Union and has personally experienced levels of political and cultural upheaval unimaginable for most of this audience.
Among the many powerful insights in this dynamic conversation:
- Change is not a project
- Nadya applauds the revolutionary breakthroughs facilitated by the Change Management field but points out that its methods assume a relatively stable organizational environment. Changes don’t happen linearly and there will be disruptions across the system. Change must be a mindset that is engaged to continuously anticipate, design, then implement the inevitable shifts necessary to thrive.
- Freeze is a flight strategy (fight or flight or freeze)
- When faced with fear, we are familiar with Fight, Flight or Freeze responses. During this Great Resignation, many are fleeing the corporation. For some, it’s not possible to flee; so, to cope they might disengage (Freeze). Disengaged workers are a threat to any company. Nadya points out that being empowered to be part of a reinvention process can become an engagement strategy.
- Titanic syndrome
- We hold fast to what we know and what brought success in the past. Our perceptions of success become easily hardened and that creates blind spots and slow recognition of, and response to risk.
- Practical tip – listen to people you don’t normally (or even don’t like) listening to. The fragmented media and social systems make echo chambers dangerous and easy to fall into.
Nadya answered our final question with a metaphor – Consider the Aspen. We are all connected at the root.
We are honored to be connected to Dr. Nadya and the worldwide community of Reinventors!
We hope you connect with Nadya and rev your reinvention engines!
Nadya’s latest book, The Chief Reinvention Officer Handbook: How to Thrive in Chaos is a finalist in the American Book Fest Awards, the winner of the 2021 Axiom Business Books Awards, and the winner of the Kirkus Star, “one of the most coveted designations in the book industry, which marks books of exceptional merit.”
About Nadya: Called the ‘Reinvention Guru’ and ‘The Queen of Reinvention’, Dr. Nadya Zhexembayeva is a business owner, educator, speaker, and author—specializing in reinvention. For more on Nadya’s curriculum vitae:
To Connect with Nadya and her Community: